Difficulty in swallowing. Is this a thyroid problem?

Hello, I am not sick but when I talk, it's as if I am sick. No one else notices it - it's the same sensation when you're sick and trying to talk ... (happened since last week)
And it hurts to swallow - more like, ache. But not sore throat. It's more like the muscles, maybe? I don't have phlegm (or very little and I try to force it out)
Do I have some thyroid problem? Do I have a throat problem?
Posted Sat, 23 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 11 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
Given that you have not mentioned any other symptoms or any swelling in the neck, the possibility of you having a thyroid problem is low. If you do you have any other symptoms like dry skin, constipation, depression or fatigue, do let me know.
The possibility of having a problem in the throat exists and is definitely much more. It could be an allergy or an infection or simply due to voice fatigue. Its unlikely to be due to the muscles.
The following measures should help:
a. Take steam inhalation twice a day. Adding a few drops of eucalyptus oil or menthol would help further.
b. Take tablet cetrizine 10 mg once a day. You can take it for 3-5 days, if you notice relief.
c. Avoid speaking, singing, whispering. We basically need to give your voice some rest.
d. Have plenty of warm water, XXXXXXX tea

These measures should definitely help. Please do get back if you have any more questions.
Follow-up: Difficulty in swallowing. Is this a thyroid problem? 7 minutes later
As for the hypothyroidism

I experience the following:

Being more sensitive to cold
Heavier menstrual periods
Weight gain (unintentional)

Re: Throat
Is tablet cetrizine an over the counter drug?
I rarely talk and I experience no discomfort when I do.
It just feels as if I'm sick. Like when I have sinuses and it sounds clogged.
But I am not experiencing other cold symptoms.

It does not hurt when I eat but I feel like my throat is tight
and it's a little uncomfortable. (or maybe something wrong with my tonsils?)
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 3 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
You do have symptoms of hypothyroidism and I would suggest that a serum thyroid stimulating hormone level (serum TSH) and free thyroxine level (fT4 level) be done to see if you need treatment.
However, its unlikely that your symptoms are due to this since it would take a visibly enlarged thyroid gland ( which would mean quite a large swelling in your neck) to cause these symptoms.
Cetrizine is an over the counter drug and should definitely help. Steam inhalation is one of the measures which should really help. A change in weather can also be responsible for your symptoms. Just remember to keep yourself warm. If you dont feel better within 3-4 days, a consult with your general physician can help as only a physical examination can rule out a condition like enlarged tonsils.
Hope this helps.
Let me know if I can help you further.