Difficulty in swallowing. Endoscopy showing grade B oesophahitis with mucosal break. Smoking and drinking. Should I be worried?

Oncologist
Question
My fathet
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Review

Detailed Answer:
This indicates that the endoscopist could see some inflammation. this may be due to acid, alcohol and possibly smoking. this is not serious but the biopsy results should be reviewed and discussed with you.

Dr G

Follow-up: Difficulty in swallowing. Endoscopy showing grade B oesophahitis with mucosal break. Smoking and drinking. Should I be worried? 2 hours later
Would stopping alcohol completley help? My farher is a smoker for 40 yrs. has tried fo stop but cannot .can continuingto smoke make this worse?

What treatment are available for this?s

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions

Detailed Answer:
I think discontinuation of alcohol is a good idea. Alcohol might continually exacerbated symptoms. Smoking is also a problem and I would advise smoking cessation as well.

I think you need to wait for the biopsy results before deciding exactly what to do. The doctor might suggest medication to decrease the acid secretions in the stomach as well. This might help the symptoms.

Thanks again for sharing your healthcare concerns