Difficulty in smiling, raising eyebrow, closing one eye. Is this a stroke?

i had what looks to be a XXXXXXX stroke the only thing affected was my left side of my face.
my eye wont blink... and i cant smile one the left or raise my eye brow.. will i lose my eye if i cant blink..?
and should i tape it shut to sleep tonight?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 17 minutes later

From the description given to me it looks like you are suffering from “facial nerve palsy” on the left side, possibly a "Bell's Palsy". Very rarely XXXXXXX stroke can present in similar fashion. Most common cause of Bell’s palsy is infection with Herpes virus.

So I personally feel meeting your Neurologist for a good clinical examination and consultation is required to confirm the diagnosis. You may need antiviral agents, steroids and facial physiotherapy. If you aren’t able to XXXXXXX one at the earliest, you may have to visit the ER.

Till then use protective glasses, eye patch and artificial tears to prevent dryness of the eye.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist