Ask a Homeopath   »  

Difficulty in sleeping after tonsillectomy surgery. Is it normal?

Excellent

Question
I had uup and tonsilectomy surgery 5 weeks ago. I don't think that I am sleeping much better yet. Should I be sleeping much better by now or will it take more time?
Posted Tue, 19 Jun 2012 in Yoga

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 6 hours later
Hello

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

I think the sleeping problem is not related to tonsillectomy, that to you have undergone surgery 5 weeks back.

There might be disturbances in sleep after immediate post tonsillectomy.

you can improve sleeping problems on your own. The first step to overcoming a sleep problem is identifying and carefully tracking your symptoms and sleep patterns.

Regardless of your sleep problems, a consistent sleep routine and improved sleep habits will translate into better sleep over the long term.

I advice you keep a regular sleep schedule, set aside enough time for sleep like most people need at least 7 to 8 hours each night in order to feel good and be productive. Make sure your bedroom is dark, cool, and quiet. Turn off your TV, smartphone, iPad, and computer a few hours before your bedtime.

You can address many common sleep problems through lifestyle changes like you may find that when you start exercising regularly and managing your stress more effectively, your sleep is much more refreshing.

I advice to follow the above mentioned measure it will be helpful.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer

Follow-up: Difficulty in sleeping after tonsillectomy surgery. Is it normal? 7 hours later
I'm sorry. I forgot to mention that this surgery was to treat sleep apnea (snoring). I didn't sleep well before because of the sleep apnea. I can tell abit of a difference in my sleep, just thought that at 5 weeks, I would be sleeping better by now.

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 55 minutes later
Hi

You had your tonsils removed for Obstructive sleep apnea which is the most common type of sleep apnea. It occurs when the soft tissue in the back of your throat relaxes during sleep, causing a blockage of the airway.

Tonsillectomy will be helpful in reducing the snoring. Along with this other causes should also be addressed like weight, smoking.

I advice you to loose excess weight if you have, quit smoking, avoid caffeine and heavy meals within two hours of going to bed. Avoid alcohol, sleeping pills, and sedatives, especially before bedtime, because they relax the muscles in the throat and interfere with breathing and maintain regular sleep hours.

Try this above mentioned measures it will be helpful.

Follow-up: Difficulty in sleeping after tonsillectomy surgery. Is it normal? 1 hour later
All good answers. But, at five weeks should I be seeing the full results of this surgery or can I expect to see more progress in the next few weeks?

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 35 minutes later
Hello sir,

The surgery is not curative but no doubt it will reduce the symptoms. This is more effective in children and usually have a noticeable improvement in their symptoms within 6 months of the surgery.

As the specific period of full improvement after surgery is difficult to predict and is not exactly mentioned anywhere.

I think with surgery and conservative measures, improvement will be seen you have to be patient for couple of weeks.

I hope the information are helpful.