Difficulty in falling asleep, constant mood swings, tightening feeling in chest. Any suggestions?

Hello, my name is XXXXXXX and I really don't know where to turn to. I have avoided going to doctors my entire life, but I feel like now it's the right thing to do. I have lived with these symptoms for as long as I can remember and they are as follows. I can't fall asleep and when I do I sleep only an hour or so before I'm awake. I can't stay asleep. I constantly feel sad or angry or a combination of the two. I get a tightening sensation in my chest during the more severe episodes and feel like I'm completely empty inside. I frequently shut myself off from friends and family, I don't want to be around other people at all and during these times my sleep issue is the exact opposite. I go from not being able to sleep to doing nothing but sleeping...sometimes 13+ hours. It's not like this every day, but it is becoming more and more frequent as time goes on and I don't think it's normal anymore. Feeling this way can not be how normal people feel. I have avoided going to a doctor face to face for a couple of reasons. I am new to the area so I don't really know anyone or where to go and I'm not 100% comfortable telling these things to someone face to face. I'm afraid that people might think I'm crazy or something and I'm not. Is there any help or suggestions you can please give to me?
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 4 hours later
Thanks for using healthcare magic.

I have gone through your history.
As per your history, it seems that you are suffering from depression.

There are lot many drugs and other modalities of treatment available to come out of depression so that you should consult psychiatrist.

Doctor will rule out physical causes like thyroid dysfunction or illness like bipolar mood disorder.

You may get improvement by antidepressant drugs like sertraline or escitalopram. You may get prescription by your doctor.

Meanwhile, you can do stress management and relaxation therapy like breathing exercise and yoga. You may also get improvement with help of psychotherapy.

I hope I have addressed your concern.

Feel free to revert to me in case if you have further query.