Difficulty in ejaculation. Taking prilosec for acid reflux. Smoking addiction. How to correct this?

I am a 52 year old white male in good health. I am taking prilosec for reflux, but no other complaints. I smoke about 10 cigarettes a day and drink maybe 1 glass of wine a week. I eat mostly all natural foods and organic foods. I work swing shifts of all hours and try to exercise 3 times a week. For the last 2-3 years I have been experiencing no orgasm on ejaculation. I have normal sexual desire, and everything works fine having sex, but when I ejaculate I feel nothing. What might cause this and how can I correct it?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 2 hours later

Hi there. Thank you for posting your question with XXXXXXX I will do my best to help you.

What you describe here so well is sometimes referred to as "sexual anhedonia". The total absence of any pleasure sensations on ejaculating. This must be a horribly frustrating thing to have.

Often it is caused by a medication or an illicit drug taken in the past and maybe long forgotten. Here are some of the usual suspects:
(1) Any antidepressant ever taken.
(2) Propecia for hair loss.
(3) Body building stuff.
(4) Codeine and all the opioids.
(5) Any illicit or recreational drug.

Ask yourself if any of these apply? There has to be an explanation somewhere. Also I would have some suggestions as to how you might improve your situation.

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.

Follow-up: Difficulty in ejaculation. Taking prilosec for acid reflux. Smoking addiction. How to correct this? 26 hours later
I requested that a sexologist be consulted, not a GP. If the only answer I can get is you probably took some drug, some time that may have done some damage, and that this doctor has "some suggestions" that MIGHT improve my situation then I am sure I got exactly what I paid for...nothing.
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 8 hours later
Hi there.

I am a physician practicing sexology so I can proclaim myself as a Sexologist. You may want to look at my profile page here, WWW.WWWW.WW
As an experienced physician I believe in my opinion and its validity.

If you need further clarifications about your problem I can definitely assist you further and continue to clarify several things here. I know such a problem discussions may not answer all the needs in one question and one answer.

It is your prerogative to opt out of this discussion anytime. In such a case you may write to YYYY@YYYY who can switch to a different expert specializing this field.

Andrew Rynne MD.