Difficulty in conception. Advised for prolactin test. Can you clarify the test report?

Question
Hi , my name is XXXXXXX . i m 25yrs old, i got married in 2010. In last month i got my period 6days late i consultd doctor coz from Jan'12 we are trying for baby but not be able to concieve . Doctor advise me to get prolactin test and the result is prolactin - 16.26 ng/ml.I dont understand with result coz its not in normal level. Please Clarify my query..Thanks....
Posted Thu, 28 Jun 2012 in Getting Pregnant

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 4 hours later

The normal values for prolactin are: Males: 2 - 18 ng/mL; Nonpregnant females: 2 - 29 ng/mL; Pregnant women: 10 - 209 ng/mL. Hence your values are not raised and within normal limits.

If still you are unable to conceive, then other causes of primary infertility should be explored. Common causes of infertility in female are endometriosis, ovulation problem, pelvic inflammatory disease, poor egg quality, polycystic ovarian syndrome, damaged or blocked fallopian tubes etc.

In male reason for infertility are related to sperm (azoospermia, oligospermia), problem with sperm delivery, due to sexual dysfunction, and an obstruction etc. Hence complete work up has to be done to know the underlying cause for which you should consult a fertility expert.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Difficulty in conception. Advised for prolactin test. Can you clarify the test report? 16 hours later
hello doctor, m satisfied with ur answer , thank you very much for that..One more thing i want to ask u, there is a discharge of water of milky color from left breast. what v'll be the reason behind this???

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 5 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

The milky breast nipple discharge is a symptom due to an elevated prolactin or milk hormone. The discharge can also occur due to local breast irritation, frequent nipple stimulation during lovemaking or even the frequent squeezing of the nipples that a woman does just to keep checking to see if the milky discharge is still present.

Other than that, it can be a feature of hormonal imbalance, such as from taking birth control pills,an underactive thyroid gland, tumor (prolactinoma) or other disorder of the pituitary gland.

If your prolactin levels are normal, then get your thyroid hormones checked and get an examination done from a gynecologist.