Difficulty in conceiving, spotting during ovulation. Had used Mirena in the past. Pregnancy test result negative. What to do?

I am 31 years old, and my husband and I have been trying to conceive for 10 months now. I am 6'0", 215lbs and have no medical problems, nor am I on any medications. The dates of last month's period were Sept. 21 - 28, starting with spotting for 1 day, then light, progressing to medium for 2 days, then back to light the last few days. I am using OPK's and received a positive result on Oct. 8, 9, and 10th. We did have well timed intercourse during that time. Using the Oct. 9th as actual ovulation day, I began light bleeding in the morning of 6 dpo. I thought it was a bit early but assumed it was my period and used a tampon for the rest of the day. When taking it out, there was virtually nothing on it. The entire next day (7dpo) there was nothing. Then on 8 dpo I encountered brown spotting only in morning, with absolutely nothing the rest of the day. 9 dpo I have very mucus-y light pink spotting, again only in the morning. 10dpo and I had a bit of brown spotting again only in the morning. Same for today, but it was light pink. Last month was my typical period, so this is very odd to me. I did take a pregnancy test yesterday but the result was negative. Is it too early to test, or is there another reason behind my strange cycle this month? I also had Mirena removed August 2010, and it had taken me about 6 months to return to a normal cycle. Thank you
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

The mild intermittent spotting and pinkish bleeding that you are having might be indicative of implantation bleeding but right now it is too early to get a positive urine pregnancy test.

You need to wait for at least one more week to carry out the home pregnancy test again.

For an early diagnosis you can consult your gynecologist who can order some blood tests like serum beta Hcg levels for you which will confirm your pregnancy at this early stage.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.