Difficulty in conceiving, menstrual blood comes out only during urination. What could be wrong?

For some reason when I have my period, the menstrual blood only comes out when I urinate, and not on the sanitary napkin. Is there something wrong with me? Am I not able to conceive?
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 54 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

It seems to me that you are suffering from scanty period or low menstrual flow. You see just few drops of blood during urination due to create pressure. It is seen in some percentage of women.

The reasons behind this are hormonal imbalance (mostly), stress/ anxiety, thyroid disturbance, high prolactin level, irregular diet habit, psychological factor, ovarian cyst, pelvic or vaginal infection etc.

Proper treatment is only made after physical & pelvic examination and some initial investigations like pelvic ultrasound, complete hormone assay including thyroid profile, vaginal swab test, routine urine examination, blood sugar, prolactin level etc.

Here, you need to consult with gynecologist for proper guidance and medication. You can able to conceive in future if your ovulation occurs timely with normal period cycle.

The following measures can be helpful :

1) Take healthy diet with vitamin & iron supplements.
2) Drink plenty of water and eat more green vegetables & fresh fruits.
3) Complete avoidance of salty/ fatty/ junk food stuffs. Keep bowel habit regular.
4) Try to avoid stress by yoga/ deep breathing/ meditation regularly (30 minutes).
5) Control body weight by regular physical exercise. Maintain genital hygiene properly.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.
Follow-up: Difficulty in conceiving, menstrual blood comes out only during urination. What could be wrong? 5 minutes later
Thank you. During my annual exams the gynecologist never mentioned anything being wrong with me, so I assumed there was no concern, and I always get my period on time.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 37 minutes later

Thanks for your follow up query.

You should get examined again and undergo relevant investigation to rule out underlying pathology if any after consultation with your gynecologist. It helps to clear your confusion.

Also you should follow previously mentioned measurable steps for healthy life style. It has significant role to bring your period timely with normal flow.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Good luck.

Dr Soumen