Difficulty in breathing. History of Precordial Catch syndrome. Treatment?

I'm 19, 5'3", 130, no history of cardiovascular problems with me or any of my relatives. I've had difficulty breathing for about a month now, on and off. It's as if I can't catch my breath no matter how deeply I breathe. Now i'm having the same difficulty, but with what feels like Precordial Catch Sydrome. I've had episodes of Precordial Catch Sydrome many times throughout my life, but the difference this time is that it's lingering much longer than usual. It worries me.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 46 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

As per your history, I understand that you have been having episodes of breathlessness for a month now with precordial catchy pain that has increased in intensity recently.

The duration and intensity of pain is known to vary in individuals suffering from precordial catch syndrome. However a few other reasons also need consideration in patients having breathlessness and chest pain.

Answers to the below questions can help me ruling out a few causes:
1. Along with shortness of breath do you cough or fever?
2. Did you ever have an attack of breathlessness with wheezing episode (whistling sound while breathing)?
3. Do you have any known allergies (eg. allergy to dust /pollen / perfumes /cold things/ curd, etc.)?
4. Do you have burning pain in abdomen / or history of water brash?
5. What is your weight (in Kgs)?
6. Do any of your near ones said you snore during sleep?
7. Are these episodes of breathlessness seasonal (eg. you get more attacks in cloudy weather /winters)?
8. Have you ever seen a doctor regarding these complaints? if yes then please let me know the details?
9. Have you ever had a chest xray? - If yes, you may upload the reports of it here.

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Difficulty in breathing. History of Precordial Catch syndrome. Treatment? 1 hour later
I do not have a cough or a fever.
I have never had wheezing with the breathlessness.
I have no allergies that I know of.
I have no burning in the abdomen or history of water brash.
I weigh 58.96 kg.
No one has reported snoring to me.
I don't know if this is seasonal because this past month is the first time it's happened.
I have seen a doctor regarding this, and all he said was that my heart and lungs sound great and the EKG came back normal.
I have never had a chest xray.
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 45 minutes later

Thanks for the reply.

Almost many causes of shortness of breath have been ruled out.

Now considering your complaint of chest discomfort, I would like to advise the following:
1. Sleep in correct posture.
2. Immediately after meals, do not do any heavy physical activity.
3. Take small frequent meals.
4. Adopt "straight back posture" while sitting.
5. During the time of chest discomfort:
- Breathe shallow.
- You may lie down on a bed with face turned downwards.
- Also a sudden XXXXXXX breath, though painful, would be able to relieve the muscle spasm.
6. In case of no symptomatic relief from discomfort you may take simple analgesic + muscle relaxant combination oral tablet. You can get it prescribed from your doctor.
7. I would also like to inform you that "Precordial Chest Syndrome" is not believed to be XXXXXXX and generally not seen as a problem. Hence you should not be worried about it unless it discomforts you.
8. In case the symptoms increase - you can get your chest x-ray and tread mill stress testing done and consult a Cardiologist.

Hope I have answered your query. I welcome any further query from your side.