Difficulty focusing, tiredness, short term memory. Taking keflex, Welbutrin. Dementia?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My 73 year old woman friend is having progressive SXS:
confusion especially in the evening or when she is tired.
Difficulty focusing.
Difficulty handling concepts. Repeats herself.
Becoming tired easily.
Forgetful. Especially short term memory.
Difficulty thinking things through.
Seems like dementia or beginning Alzheimers but don't know what to do to get her DX'd properly.
She is taking a lot of meds long term including keflex, Welbutrin, a statin and others. I am wondering if the sxs could be a result of the med side effects.
How should I proceed to help her and get proper DX also, from what I said what are possible DXs?

Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Welbutrin is known to cause dementia.

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

Welbutrin which is anti-depressant is known to cause dementia and memory loss in long term use.
Other related adverse effects include confusion, trouble concentrating, hallucinations, unusual thoughts or behaviour.

Other diffentials can be senile dementia, Alzheimers or Parkinsonism.
You may need to consult neurophysician for clinical examination and management

MRI brain will help in diagnosis of any atrophic changes or degenerative foci.
Vitamin B12 and vit D3 supplementation will help in improving cognitive function.

After clinical examination, Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.