Difficult to take deep breath and pain in neck and back. What could be causing this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hello, i have XXXXXXX having very tense, spasming muscles in my kneck and back. i feel no relief in any position. on top of that, i have been struggling for XXXXXXX breaths for about a month now. i feel cramping in my back when i try and get a full XXXXXXX breath and it is driving me crazy. what might this be? please help
might i add that the side that cramps up the most, my left clavicle also sits about and inch or more higher than my right clavicle
Posted Sat, 20 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
This looks like a positional anomaly. The upper back ache is a result of muscle spasm which in itself is a protective mechanism body develops so that the back avoids abnormal posture. For pain to go, it takes not only rest but also avoidance of particular positions (during work, rest or recreation).
While on work don't sit in one position for more than an hour and take frequent stretch breaks. Do not bend forward to lift things up, bend the knees and hips for that. Also discontinue any strenuous activity or exercises for some time.

Having said that, you might want to consult your orthopaedician for a detailed physical examination and appropriate investigations. It might help with few medications and physiotherapy for a few days. Physiotherapy particularly cervical traction for a week and back strengthening exercises after pain relief work well.

Remember that medicines usually don't play a role in long term treatment, what does is exercises. Few exercises that the therapist will teach you must be done for life time.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Difficult to take deep breath and pain in neck and back. What could be causing this? 4 hours later
Could some scoliosis also factor into these muscle spasms?
Thanks for writing again.
Yes. Positional anomalies like scoliosis could also be an aggravating factor in these problems.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.