Different colour seen on echocardiogram. What does this indicate?

My echocardiogram had alot of different colors blue red Orange yellow and white what does the colors mean.
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Echo cardiogram evaluates the function of the heart and its circulation.

Echo cardiogram also includes Doppler examination. This examination looks for the blood flow in and around heart. It also tells about the circulation in heart, valvular functions etc.

Red is the color of oxygenated blood and blue is non oxygenated blood. Depending upon the area of heart screened you will see different colors in the report.

White is just echo without Doppler.

The doctor interprets the report as per color in the specific area.

I hope this helps.

Follow-up: Different colour seen on echocardiogram. What does this indicate? 6 minutes later
Thank you, in several places the whole lower chambers were blue then Orange then only small areas where red. I know it's hard to know for sure what is happening with out actually seeing the echo, I do know that there is a hole between the left and right side of my heart and I do have an irregular heartbeat.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 6 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

Depending upon the area in which you are looking, phase of heart contraction cycle, you will be colors.

One part of heart contains impure blood and another one pure blood. So you may see colors accordingly.

Again clinical examination of patient and report put to gather help in diagnosis.