Different blood group for husband and wife, anti-D injection, blood test. Complications during childbirth ?

General Surgeon
I am a bloodgroup B+ male and my wife is B- she is pregnant 8 weeks we have only just found out that this could be a problem for the baby. What can we do is it too late to act.

Thanks.. XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 52 minutes later

So many couples with with husband with blood group positive & wife with blood group negative give birth to babies with out any problem.

During delivery or bleeding, some mixing of fetal blood with mother blood takes place, which produces antibody in the mother . In the subsequent pregnancy these antibody may harm the fetus, if injection anti -D is not given to mother. Injection should be given with in 48-72 hours of birth of baby. Such injection is not needed if the baby is born with negative blood group.

It is not at all late ,you doctor will take care of this part once it is known .

You can discuss with your gynecologist. At present nothing to worry..

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries if you have any more additional queries.

“Wish you Good Health ”