Difference between entamoebiasis from a common bout of diarrhea among infants?

how do you know entamoebiasis from a common bout of diarrhea in toddlers?
What should be done to improve general health of the child and also for weight gain?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Entamoebiasis can be diagnosed by a stool examination. If the loose motions are persistent or there is visible passage of blood or mucus in the stools, then it must be examined to rule out entamoebiasis.
Zinc deficiency is a common cause of diarrhea in children and most of the children improve on taking zinc supplements. You can continue giving Z&D.
To improve the general health of the child, you may try the following tips.
1. You can try to give him five small meals i.e breakfast cereals with milk, etc followed by lunch then milk followed by snacks in the evening and dinner more or less similar to lunch.
2. Try to have atleast one family meal time together either lunch or dinner.
3. Try to give him a variety of foods instead of same daily. You may look for healthy recepies and information on meal schedules on WWW.WWWW.WW 4. Try to minimise distraction like television or games during meal times, as the child may lose interest in eating.
Children have a tendency to graze at that age and they really do not enjoy eating like us grown ups do. For the future cut back on the in between meal snacks, give smaller portions. Give lots of praise for even a couple bites taken. Realize this is just one of those stages that all children go through.
If his weight gain is steady and there are no signs of vitamin deficiencies according to his pediatrician then please do not worry.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Difference between entamoebiasis from a common bout of diarrhea among infants? 8 hours later
Would you recommend any tonics for weight gain and general health+.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

General tonics are not recommended in children unless there are specific signs of some deficiency diseases.

A good and healthy diet is best for your child and can never be a substitute to some tonic.

Hope my answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.