Difference between combination of verapamil with amlodipine and lisonopril with verapamil?

I am currently taking Lisonopril 20/12 and Verapamil 240 mgs once a day for High blood pressure. My husband is taking Losartan 100 mg and Amlodine 5 mg once a day with no success. His blood pressure is still very high while I took 2 days of my meds and blood pressure dropped from 160/101 to 123/80. @What is the difference between the types of medications
Posted Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 27 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Verapamil and Amlodipine – belong to the group of Calcium Channel Blockers (CCB).
Verapamil could reduce the heart rate and depress the muscle pumping efficiency. Be ware!

Losartan is Angiotensin Receptor Blocker (ARB)
Lisinopril is Angiotension Converting Enzyme Inhibitor (ACEI)
They act at different levels on the Renin – Angiotensin – Aldosterone System (RAAS).
The end result is similar; ACEI is more likely to be responsible for cough, as side effect.

There are several classes of drugs.
There are several drugs in each class.

Any drug could have side effects.
It is not prudent to switch over medicines, without consulting your Internist!
Especially so, the drugs affecting the heart!
Take care!

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck