Diet plan to reduce weight and lead a healthy life?

This is XXXXXXX from Bangalore, I am 30yrs & working professional.

I am hoping to get suggestions on a diet plan that would be suitable for me to reduce my weight & lead a healthier life.

Here is what i am looking in a diet plan:

- plan should include Non-veg atleast twice a week
- I can walk every upto 45 mins
- I work in shifts which makes it difficult for me to stick to one timing, In these cases how should customize or modify my diet plan.

Thanks you in Advance.
Posted Sun, 24 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 35 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX, thank you for writing to us.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and from the diet plan I am going to suggest, it is also going to be the largest. A healthy breakfast can include a bowl of cereal (cereal+milk), along with either a fruit or 1-2 fruits cut into small pieces and added to the bowl of cereal. This bowl can be large in size.
Or 2 slices of bread with a boiled egg and a glass of milk/fresh fruit juice (no sugar).
You should have your breakfast as early as possible (between 7-9 am).

You will have 4-6 hrs until your next meal. If you feel hungry in between, have plenty of water, or a fruit, or 1-2 biscuits. All fluids without sugar. Often thirst is mistaken for hunger.

Your lunch (1-2 pm) can include 2 sandwiches (with an omelette in between and a little ketchup). Or it can include 1 dry roti, with any side dish (but almost always vegetarian).

Your dinner is best taken (6 pm - 8 pm). This can include a dry roti, with any vegetarian dish (minimum oil) or even 2 pieces of meat (twice a week), along with some salad (sliced tomatoes, cucumber, etc without salt or pepper). Walk an hour after you have finished dinner for at least 45 mins-1 hour.

Key pointers:
-Time your meals (divide your meals into 5 small meals, as you work in shifts-on a normal day keep meal numbers 1, 3 & 5 as breakfast, lunch dinner), shift changes- make 2, 4, 1 the main meals.
-Keep 5-6 meals a day, small and regular, to increase metabolism
-Vegetables (green-leafy vegetables, spinach, sprouts, alfalfa, broccoli, beat root, etc.) and fruits (figs, raisins, blueberries, strawberries, raspberry, oranges, etc.) XXXXXXX in antioxidants (help prevent disease and lose fat)
-Lukewarm water with less than half a lemon squeezed into it, half a glass after each meal (prevents/reduces the absorption of oil and fatty substances into the stomach or gut)
-Gap of at least 3 hours between dinner and your night sleep, drink plenty water before sleeping
-Drink as much water as possible just before a meal
-Avoid sugar, oil, fatty food

There are many ways to lose weight, but a healthy diet and mild exercise is the healthiest way to weight loss. The weight loss will be gradual, but you will feel much healthier with each passing day.

Feel free to write back to me with any further clarifications, and I shall gladly help.
Best regards.