Diet and treatment for Mild hepetomegaly

Orthopaedic Surgeon
mild hepetomegaly what are the treatment
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Follow-up: Diet and treatment for Mild hepetomegaly 32 minutes later
what do next treatment
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later

Mild hepatomegaly is usually associated multiple medical conditions such as liver disease, hepatitis, gallstones, diabetes, pancreatic disease, renal disease, infections, certain prescription drugs, certain herbs and supplements or taking very high amounts of supplements.

The first thing you need to do is to get a complete liver function tests done along with an ultrasound scan. You can have all these investigations and other general blood tests done under the guidance of your physician.

The treatment would depend on the cause.

In few cases, there may be mild hepatic enlargement will all other normal tests. This can be due to normal anatomical variation in the hepatic size. In such cases liver span is less than 155mm. All the organic causes must be ruled out before attributing it to be an anatomical variation.

I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Follow-up: Diet and treatment for Mild hepetomegaly 3 hours later
what give diet these causes & what give medicine treatment
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

You need a thorough evaluation by a physician as there are various causes for this hepatic enlargement and they can be ruled out only after a Physical Examination and detailed investigations. Once the cause is confirmed, you will be treated accordingly. We need to understand if the hepatomegaly is clinically palpable on examining the abdomen.

Regarding the dietary modifications a low protein and low fat diet will be helpful for you. Treatment depends on the cause. Give the child more milk, fruits and whole cereal.

Mild hepatomegaly resolves by itself over time. Sometimes doctors prescribe Syrup like Liv 52. You can discuss this option with your doctor.

Hope my answer is helpful.