Diet advice for a vegetarian patient recovering from jaundice

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Deart Doctor,

My son is suffering from jaundice. we are South Indian Vegetarians. Though our doctor said that except oily and fried items, there is no other food restrictions, relatives come with a numberr of free advices like taboo for turmeric etc. Pl. give your expert advice.
Posted Fri, 1 Jun 2012 in Diet Plans
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 21 minutes later

Thanks for consulting me.

Assuming the infection to be either type A or E hepatitis (confirmed by serological tests), I would suggest the following,

1. Complete bed rest till the liver function test come to normal
2. High carbohydrate diet comprising of rice or dal soup at least twice a day.
3. Clean and boiled water for drinking (at least 2 litres /day).
4. To eat only home cooked items. Avoid hotel cooked stuff strictly.
5. Avoid raw fruits as well.
6. Avoid fried or oily foods.
7. Proteins in moderation.
8. Multivitamin supplements.
9. Oral lactulose at night to clear the bowel till bilirubin levels start falling.
10. Liver tonics containing ornithine for at least 4 weeks.
11. Instead of digene start sucralfate in dose of 1 tea spoons three times a day after meals.
12. Avoid bile acid preparations as the liver cannot metabolise them. This can worsen the nausea. If belching is excessive you can even start sorbiline in the morning on empty stomach with warm water.
13. Ensure that a good volume of urine is passed per day.
14. Repeat liver function test every week to see for fall in bilirubin and liver enzyme levels. That would be a sign of recovery.

I hope this information helps in speedy recovery of your son. Let me know if you have any further queries.

With Regards