Died of heart attack. Gums were black and blood prickled out from ear while doing CPR. Reason?

Hi I had a friend that died recently they think due to massive heart attack When I found him he was still warm in places but changing colour (turning blue/grey) when I checked his mouth a airways his gums where black he was not breathing with no pulse I started CPR while doing this blood trickled out of his ear WHY ?..was he dead when I found him could he have been saved if in a hospital.I had spoke to him 5/10 mins before finding him.He also had liver problems that where under control The day before he had bout of the gastro bug.
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later

I am sorry for your friend.

Sudden deaths are most often related to heart attacks, especially if there is history of previous heart ailment, other risk factors and strong family history.

Now in your friend’s situation, he may have suffered a heart attack -- the resulting breathlessness could cause cyanotic changes (bluish black discoloration of mucous membrane). The blue-grey discoloration at certain areas including gums are evidences of cyanosis. Further breathlessness/asphyxia can cause congestive changes which might be responsible for ear bleeding. These changes suggest that he might have had few symptoms before he expired.

The window period to recovery is very, very short (less than 3 minutes) with massive heart attack and hence the prognosis is poor. But immediate medical attention - stabilizing breathing function and treating heart dysarrythmia's - can marginally improve the recovery chances.

Hope I answered your question. Let me know if you need clarifications.