Didn't increase dose of Wellbutrin to 300 mg and stayed on the 150 mg dose. Would it still be as effective?

Excellent

Question
What would happen if you didn't increase your dose of Wellbutrin to 300 mg and stayed on the 150 mg dose? Would it still be as effective?
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Wellbutrin contains bupropion which is used to treat conditions like major depressive disorder. The prescribing doctor usually carefully selects the dosage depending on patients response and requirement.

The protocol calls for an escalation of dosage. A response is usually seen after 4 weeks of treatment, but if the prescribed dosage is not taken, a response could be delayed or completely absent.

Furthermore, the prescribing doctor usually escalates the dose in patients who experience an aggravated depressive state or who do not experience an adequate response. A dose escalation is also advised in patients experiencing insomnia, motor restlessness, agitation, etc.

If the prescribed dosage is not taken, a patient could experience the return of depression or other symptoms resulting due to inadequate treatment of the condition or no improvement in the condition at all. I thus advise you to kindly follow your doctors instructions, and take the dose prescribed for your well being.

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Didn't increase dose of Wellbutrin to 300 mg and stayed on the 150 mg dose. Would it still be as effective? 1 hour later
I was previously taking Venflaxin (for a number of years at 75 mg/day). My doctor prescribed the Wellbutrin to help me quit smoking. This is only my second week and I've only taken 2 days of the 300 mg dose but am experiencing horrible nausea, dizziness, ringing in ears. I'm fine as long as I don't move but as soon as I stand or sit, I experience the symptoms. I'm wondering if I could just reduce to the 150 because I only experienced minor symptoms for the first three days.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 16 minutes later
Hello once again.

Yes, it appears as though these are side effects of the medication.

If you are experiencing side effects, then the medication can either be tried at a lower dosage(i.e. 150 mg) or completely substituted with a more suitable one, but I advise you to do so only under your treating doctor's supervision. I am sure he/she will understand and either select a dosage to best suit your requirements (without having any side effects) or choose a drug that would help and suit you, without having any side effects.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further clarifications or you could rate my answers after closing this discussion.

Best wishes.