Ask a Urologist   »  

Did vasectomy. Had small traces of blood in urine prior to procedure. Why is my urine now yellow with odor?

Hii recently had a vasectomy. The doctor said. Had a small trace of bloodin urine prior to procdure. The last two days my urine has been very yellow with an odor. In ideas????
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 30 minutes later

Urine gets its yellow color from a pigment called urochrome. That color normally varies from pale yellow to XXXXXXX XXXXXXX depending on the concentration of the urine. Darker urine is usually a sign that you're not drinking enough fluid and may be due to dehydration.

Secondly, blood in urine may also cause dark colored urine which may later turn to brown or red colored urine.

Since you had recent surgery, hence dark urine can be due to not having enough fluid intake after the procedure.

Urine normally doesn't have a very strong smell. Odor in urine can be due to diet like coffee or asparagus, infection like bladder, prostate or urinary tract, dehydration or diabetes. Again it can be due to dehydration after the procedure.

But to completely rule out any hematuria (blood in urine), get a complete urine examination and a urine culture sensitivity done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.