Did not use spectazole cream after laser treatment. Breastfeeding. Safe to use spectazole cream?

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
How effective is a lay final treatment on toes if you do not use the required spectazole cream after the laser? I'm just very worried as to what effect the spectazole cream may have on my 4 week old that I'm breastfeeding. I read conflicting information online.

Spell check messed up what I was writing. I meant to say, "how effective is a fungal treatment on toes if I do not use the required spectazole cream"
Posted Mon, 5 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later

Firstly, I would like to know

Where are you having the fungal infection- toe web space, sole or feet or it involves toe nails?

What are the medicines that have been advised to treat the same. as you do not want to use spectazole or econazole, I would like to know what you plan to use to treat the infection.

Answering these queries would help in guiding you in better way.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Follow-up: Did not use spectazole cream after laser treatment. Breastfeeding. Safe to use spectazole cream? 5 hours later
The treatment would be on my 2 small toesnails on both feet. I wasn't sure if the laser treatment alone would be sufficient. The doctor said after the laser, I would out the spectazole on for 3 months; I wondered if without the cream, the laser would heal the fungas alone.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 13 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
The basis of laser treatment is to induce a level of heat that disrupts fungal growth. Lasers are recently used modality of treatment for fungal infection but the scientific data available is quite less to comment about its efficacy in long run. The response is said to be as good as oral antifungal and the nail requires an year to show visible results ie though the nail will clear off fungus with the treatment but cosmetic appearance of nail will improve once new nail is formed and replaces the infected nail. Your doctor might have added topical antifungal for improved efficacy but as per the reports laser alone is sufficient so you can avoid using topical cream.

Now personally i prefer oral and topical antifungal as these have same efficacy, are FDA approved( currently only one laser is FDA approved) and are cheap to pocket.

So in my patients I usually prefer a course of oral itraconzole to be taken only for a week in a month for three months( three pulses of itraconazole) along with amrolfine nail lacquer. The response is good and satisfactory.

But it is definitely your choice which treatment you want to take. Though adding a topical antifungal would increasing laser's efficacy, using laser alone should give a desired result.
Hope that helped.

Follow-up: Did not use spectazole cream after laser treatment. Breastfeeding. Safe to use spectazole cream? 11 hours later
The treatment is called pinpointe footlaser, is this FDA approved and safe? What risks are there?

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 27 hours later
hi,
Thanks for writing back.
Yes, it is FDA approved and safe. You can resume your office work immediately after the procedure. During the procedure, you may feel slight heat tingling or mild discomfort in your nail. It is one time therapy. As such no side effects are seen.

Hope that helped.