Did not take vaccinations during childhood, compiled list of vaccines. Are they suggested for an adult?

Question
Hi Doctor,

I am 30 yrs old and was born in a small village and did not get any vaccines immediately
after birth.

I got chicken pox in adult age due to which the impact was more severe.
Also, recently, I have seen some of my friends getting struck by
some major illnesses like Mumps for which vaccines are
already available.

Seeing my own and my friends suffering due to these illnesses,
(and because myself and my wife are planning to have a child soon)
I want to go for all the vaccinations that I have missed during my child-hood.
(except Polio vaccine and Hepatitis B vaccine, which I somehow managed to get in child-hood and college life).

I have compiled a list of vaccines that are normally given in child-hood
but I missed on them.

A. DPT (Diphtheria Tetanus and Pertussis Vaccines)
B. MMR (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella )
C. Rotavirus
D. Meningitis
E. Pneumonia

Questions:

1. Are all of the above vaccines suggested for an adult Indian male and prospective father ?

2. Are there any other vaccines (e.g.Typhoid/ Influenza/Swine Flu/Hepatitis A/Hepatitis C)
which should be taken by an adult Indian male and prospective father ?

3. How long before conception should these vaccines be taken (I heard it may not be advisable
to take some of these vaccines immediately before conception) ?

4. Is there any harm in taking these vaccines in an adult age instead of taking them in child-hood ?
Other than normal fever etc, can I expect any severe side-effects after taking these vaccines which
may affect my day-to-day work ? Are there types of vaccines which reduce side effects (fever etc)

5. In case I have been vaccinated for some disease before and I re-take the vaccination because
I don't remember it, is it usually safe to take same vaccination twice or will it lead to any complications ?

Thanks
XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 10 Jun 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 8 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

The vaccines which are normally recommended for an adult are

1. Td Vac (Diphtheria and Tetanus)
2. MMR
3. Hepatitis B
4. Typhoid
5. Flu vaccine/swine flu
6. Rubella for females
7. Hepatitis A

These are the common ones that are required.

As you have already taken hep-b, you do not need to take it again. Irrespective of you plan to become a father or not you can take all these vaccines.

You can take vaccines at any time. Flu is normally not advised unless you have frequent seasonal flu now and then. You need keep a gap of one month between each vaccination especially for MMR.

If we take a practical approach rather then theoretical you should get vaccinated against

1. MMR
2. Td Vac
3. Typhoid

Other vaccines can be taken, but you should take above mentioned first. Apart from this for your wife before planning pregnancy if rubella vaccine is not taken, she should get it. This is an important vaccine for females in child bearing age. Rubella infection during pregnancy leads to lots of problems. After vaccination for rubella you need to avoid pregnancy for 3 months.

After then you can plan it.

Please get in touch with any M.B.B.S. doctor who will guide and vaccinate you also.

Again all these are not very costly vaccine.

I hope this helps

Do write again if you have something more to ask.

In case you do not have further query, please accept the answer.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow-up: Did not take vaccinations during childhood, compiled list of vaccines. Are they suggested for an adult? 4 hours later
Dear Dr.Pragnesh,

Thanks a lot for answering my query.
I will follow your recommendations.
Answers to few of my questions were not clear to me, so I am re-posting the questions

Q5. In case I have been vaccinated for some disease before and I re-take the vaccination because

Q3. How long before conception should these vaccines be taken (I heard it may not be advisable
If myself and my wife plan conception immediately after my vaccination, is there a
risk of passing the viruses/bacteria to future child ?

Q4 Are there types of vaccines which reduce side effects (fever etc)
may affect my day-to-day work ?

Again, thanks a lot for answering my query.
-XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Good to hear from you again.

As advised earlier the list given before are the normal vaccine recommended for adults irrespective of planning of pregnancy. Depending upon the disease pattern in your city, your doctor will advise you about this.

Now let me answer your unanswered questions.

Ans 3. You can take any time you want. As advised do not try for pregnancy till 3 months after rubella vaccine. This vaccine is very important for your wife. So you can start with this. There is no vaccine that you have to take just before conception. Again during pregnancy there is no serious risk of infection from any disease if due care is taken, so do not worry and do not keep fear of diseases in pregnancy.

Ans 4: No major side effects affecting your daily routine are expected. Most of the vaccines can induce some fever, or fever like thing, nothing major in most of the cases.

Ans: 5:No.there is no harm, if by mistake it is taken again.

I hope this clarifies your doubts.

Wishing you all the best for time to come.

Dr.Pragnesh