Did not have period since one year. Could I take natural progesterone?

How to return a period? I am 51and I don't have it for 1 year. Is it any natural progesterone available?
Thank you
Please provide more options
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Few suggestions.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for consulting us.
This pattern is quite expected & natural.
Many women stop having periods after the age of 50 & this is called menopause.
This is a natural aging process.
At menopause a woman's ovaries stop functioning, that is stop producing hormones, so, periods stop & fertility diminishes.
Apart from fertility & periods these hormones have many important functions in our body like, bone health.
There is an option of hormone replacement therapy which can substitute for this hormone deficiency. Suitability & type of this option vary from patient to patient depending upon patient's expectation, choices, symptoms, past, personal & family history etc.
There are some very important & serious risks associated with this therapy as well.
So, a decision to take & type of HRT ( hormone replacement therapy) should not be taken by searching through internet or on a friend advice.
If you are interested, you MUST consult a Gynecologist in person for a thorough health check & to rule out any contraindication of this therapy & for thorough counseling of risks & benefits.
Otherwise you may opt for dietary food supplements & adopt a healthy life style along with any symptomatic treatment.
Hope I have given you some insight into the issue.
Wish you good health.