Did not get periods this month, taking Plavix, negative pregnancy test. Can Plavix affect the results?

i m taking plavix an i didnt get my period this month. last cycle i had was on the 24 or 27th of nov 2011 not too sure which day. i took a pregnancy test today result was negative. can use of plavix, or simivastin (cholestorol med) affect results? can the meds cause a delay? should i consult my ob for another test like an u/s to make sure im not preg? could meds make hcg count undetectable. due to my health is it safe to carry a full term preg?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later
It is very unlikely for Plavix and Simvastatin to cause delaying of periods or effect the results of urine test.

I suggest you to get your serum HCG levels checked to confirm the status of your pregnancy or get an ultrasound uterus done which can confirm early pregnancy after 4-5 weeks gestation.

Most home pregnancy tests that check urine beta-HCG are sensitive to 20-25 mIU/ml of HCG. The test can be positive anywhere from about 2-3 days prior to a missed menses to 4-5 days after, but usually it should be done 7-10 days past your missed period.

These medicines cannot make the counts undetectable and if you are pregnant then you can continue the pregnancy under care of your medical practitioner.

If pregnancy is ruled out then we need to investigate the other medical conditions causing missed periods. The causes may include conditions that affect the ovaries, uterus, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland.

It could be hypothyroidism, polycystic ovarian syndrome, increased stress, eating disorder, increased smoking, alcohol or caffeine use, PCOS, fibroid, polyps and endometriosis or less frequently due to pituitary conditions. In that case, it is advisable to consult a gynecologist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.