Did not get periods since long time. Given off birth control pills. What to do?

Mar 2013
hello, am wondering why I haven't had my period for 3 years and I've been off birth control for over a year and a half, I have other questions too.
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 11 days later
Please post your other questions so I can answer them.
Regarding not having a period for 3 years , there could be the following reasons -
1. After weaning off birth control, some women experience post pill amenorrhea, due to hormonal imbalance. THis generally corrects itself in 3 - 6 months, and if prolonged, needs investigation.
2. Hormonal imbalance due to conditions like polycystic ovaries, endometrial hyperplasia, stress, weight gain, raised prolactin levels, hypothyroidism etc.
3. Endometrial damage due to infections like tuberculosis etc.
4. Ingestion of medications that affect the menstrual cycle.
5. Chronic diseases like anemia, renal or liver disease.
Please consult a gynecologist, and have a complete evaluation , as well as necessary blood investigations and ultrasound scan.
Take care, and feel free to discuss further.