Did not get periods after miscarriage. How many months pregnancy do I have?

Hi my LMP was on 2/14/2013, I recieved my first positive Preg test on 3/10/2013. I started to Miscarriage on 3/26/2013. My HCG levels went back down to zero. I took a pregnancy test on 4/28/2013 and recieved a positive test. I went to the dr for HCG and it was confirmed that I am pregnant. I dont feel pregnant with no symptoms, so I am a little worried that I may have a repeat m/c but my question is how many weeks pregnant am I since I have never had a cycle after my m/c?
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 12 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

So to summarize:
1. LMP on 2/14, with conception around 2/28, and a positive test on 3/10.
2. You then miscarried around 3/26 at about 5-6 weeks of pregnancy
3. You then had an HCG that confirmed that you were no longer pregnant
4. You likely ovulated again around 4/11-4/14 (this occurs BEFORE you get your next period) and likely conceived around this time
5. You had a positive pregnancy test confirmed in your doctor's office.

So based on the facts, it sounds certain that this is a NEW pregnancy. Also, you are probably a little over 5 weeks pregnant. It is not uncommon for pregnancy related symptoms to not be present this early in the pregnancy (regardless of your prior experience). The lack of symptoms is not really a reason to be concerned. You must try to not worry too much, and the following should happen:
1. You need a followup HCG level - this number should double about every 48-72 hours
2. You need an ultrasound at a point where you are at least 6-7 weeks (anytime next week would be appropriate)

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have additional questions.

Follow-up: Did not get periods after miscarriage. How many months pregnancy do I have? 33 minutes later
Thank you, I had an HCG done on 4/30/2003 and it was 647, the next one was done on 5/2/2013 and it was 1195. The dr. didnt order any more test after that and he wants to do an ultrasound on 5/20/2013. I would have thought that they would do at least one more HCG test but he says that the numbers are going up appropiately. I thought that they were suppose to double because my numbers did not double.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 7 hours later
Thank you for the followup and I am sorry for the delay!

The HCG levels that you are listing are showing an appropriate / normal rise. This is good news. They double every 48-72 hours. Only about 85% of normal pregnancies exactly double in the first 48 hours, but almost 100% double in 72 hours. The numbers you report fall well within 'normal'. It is not necessary to do another HCG level if the first rise noted was normal. It would only be done for your reassurance. You could certainly ask for it, but it might not be covered by insurance if not medically necessary.

The plan for an ultrasound on 5/20 is perfect. Certainly if you have any spotting, cramping or other concerning symptoms, you should contact your doctor sooner!

Thank you and good luck!

Follow-up: Did not get periods after miscarriage. How many months pregnancy do I have? 44 hours later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX
Im still on the edge I guess until I go in for my ultrasound, for two days I have started to get a little bit of brown discharge and the Dr is telling me that is normal. Im nervous considering I had a miscarriage not too long ago.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 13 minutes later
A little bit of brownish discharge (in the absence of significant cramping or bright red bleeding) is completely normal. It likely represents the small amount of implantation bleeding that commonly occurs that often only presents as a small amount of brownish discharge.

I hope that this helps! Keep your hopes way up.