Did microdiscectomy. Pain in butt, hip and lower leg. Tail bone hurts while bending forward. Are they normal?

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
I am now 25 days post op from a microdiscectomy of a herniated disc = L4-L5 right side. Still having the nagging (nothing severe) pain in butt, hip and lower leg/foot. I guess that is somewhat normal so will put up with it but also still having a hard time sitting without pain mainly in hip. These are all items I have had since cutting way down on the pain meds. It sounds like most of these items are normal for quite some time yet. HOWEVER, three days ago i think i bent forward too far and everything hurt even more. Since then it feels like my tail bone hurts and from the incision going to my right side feels like a bit of a burning stretched muscle. Are these familiar sounding items with healing and making the mistake of bending a bit for this type of operation? Should i continue with my normal walking and trying to sit now and then?
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
MICRODISCECTOMY L4/5

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir
Hello
My best wishes for a speedy & complete recovery .
I have gone through your medical history in detail .
Getting local pains/numbness & increase pain during excessive bending is a common feature after microdiscectomy.
Normally these symptoms improve with time .
I would suggest you to continue with some analgesics/muscle relaxants .
You can continue with daily routine BUT avoid lifting heavy objects & avoid twisting movements on spine

Thanx
Dr Praveen K Nath
Director Deptt. Of Neurosurgery

Follow-up: Did microdiscectomy. Pain in butt, hip and lower leg. Tail bone hurts while bending forward. Are they normal? 47 hours later
Thank you for the information. One other item is that for the past 8 days it seems like sitting and other basic routines are causing the left side(from spine area into buttock to left) to have almost more of a nagging pain than the side of surgery(right). Any thoughts why the left side would hurt instead of all pain on right side? Thank you

Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
microdiscectomy

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir
Hello
Pain in opposite limb can be due to many reasons like muscle spasm ./nerve compression/ neuropathy etc
If pain has appeared only after surgery .i would suggest you to
1.take some analgesic with muscle relaxant & bed rest

2.if it still persists, get a repeat mri spine to rule out any disc infection/ local connectio

Follow-up: Did microdiscectomy. Pain in butt, hip and lower leg. Tail bone hurts while bending forward. Are they normal? 22 hours later
When putting on pants is it ok to be standing and lift leg and twist leg a bit to get into each pant leg (while keeping my waist and back relatively straight up) or should I be sitting down and try to keep legs straighter to put on pants?

Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 46 hours later
Brief Answer:
MICRODISCECTOMY

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir
Hello
Keep doing your daily routine as you were doing .
You can change clothes while standing . NO PROBLEMS
Just XXXXXXX t do vigorous exercises for at least next two weeks, if pain is persisting .

Thanx
Dr XXXXXXX k XXXXXXX