Did medical abortion and D&C. Reduced bleeding. When is my ovulation?

May 2013
Hi i did a medical abortion on the 15th of may. and I had to go back for a d&c on the 12 of july. i only bled for 3 days and now I am wondering when am i more likely to ovulate after my d&c?
Posted Sat, 14 Jul 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

you didn't mention why you are going to have D&C,
as in case of incomplete abortion , D&C should be done immediately to prevent excessive blood loss and to remove the retained products of conception,

normally after D&C it may take 2 weeks to few months for ovulation to occur,

as in D&C, the superficial layer of uterus, that is endometrium of pregnancy called decidua will be scrapped away,

So the hCG(human chorionic gonadotropin) levels in the body decreases,

During pregnancy this hCG exerts inhibitory effect on stimulatory hormones of pituitary, LH and FSH.

When hCG decreases pituitary secrets LH and FSH which will lead to production of ovarian hormones estrogen and progesterone and also resumes ovulation.

These changes will occur when hCG levels become zero,

That will depend on hCG levels in the body before miscarriage,

If levels are low ovulation can occur early means in 2 to 3 weeks,

If levels are high it may take longer time for fall and for ovulation, if some retained bits of conception still remains after D&C leading to presence of hCG in body that can also lead to delayed ovulation.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Did medical abortion and D&C. Reduced bleeding. When is my ovulation? 19 hours later
Im sorry i was meant to say that i did a medical abortion on 15 of may and i had retained products so i had to go back for a d&c. I did it on the 12 of XXXXXXX this month. And the doctot said i can have sex after 1 weeks if there is no bleeding. But i was reading that to have sex it should be at least 2 weeks of waiting. But i ad sex after 5 days without any pain and i did not have sex at all until now. But i dont know when i can ovulate.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 54 minutes later

normally 2 weeks time gap for intercourse is recommended after D&C,

-because by that time the uterus can involute to its original size and the scrapped endometrium will grow to normal thickness,
so it at all fertilization occurs the zygote can implant successfully.

-and also if local injuries occurred because of procedure they will heal by that time.

as now you are not sure of ovulation,
better you wait for next periods,
if you get periods, you follow with ovulation kit to tract the period of ovulation,
if your periods get delay for more than one month after your D&C date, you check for pregnancy depending on the result further management can be done.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.