Did mammography for puss from the nipples, normal. What is wrong?

General Surgeon
My wife has some puss coming out of her nipples. We did a mamo test and there was no findings.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 2 hours later
Thanks for nice query.

Discharge from breast nipple in 36 years old women can be due to many reasons.

As you have mentioned it as pus, infection in the lactiferous ducts or breast parencyma can lead to pus discharge from nipple, but it is always accompanied by pain, redness & local rise in temperature.

You have not mentioned about any other sign and symptom of infection.

Yellowish discharge can also occur due to Prolactin (a hormone) over secretion, which is not a pus, but looks like a pus.

Normal mammography rules out any lump or bump in the breast, which can be both benign and malignant.

Getting the nipple secretion culture and sensitivity will help you to confirm or rule out pus.

To me it appears more a case of breast discharge due to Prolactin imbalance.

Get her serum Prolactin tested along with culture sensitivity of o the nipple discharge to pin point the cause.

Hope I have answered your question well to your satisfaction. I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Dr .Bajoria