Did hip replacement surgery. Suffer from muscle soreness. Is that a nerve damage? Suggest treatment

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi there, I had a total hip replacement on my right leg in 2011. The night of the surgery i had pain trauma in the front of my leg which continues to this day. I am now 1cm higher in my right leg and suffer from muscle soreness in the psoas on both sides, and have been swimming and bike riding etc to try and fix the problem. I have recently begun to wonder however if there may have been some nerve damage during the op, as there is really very little relief in that leg at all? Would that be possible, and if so what is my best treatment. Thanks
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs thorough evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Generally after a THR, patient should be totally symptom free by the end of 2 months after the surgery.

Persistent pain in and around the Hip joint after a THR always warrants evaluation in the form of Blood investigations to rule out infection, CT scan & Xray films to diagnose loosening of the components, and Arthrography & radionuclide scintigraphy.

There are numerous causes that produce pain in & around the hip joint after THR. A few common conditions are mechanical loosening and sepsis, particulate induced (polyethylene-induced) synovitis, trochanteric bursitis, sciatic or obturator nerve impingement, abductor or iliopsoas tendonitis etc.

A few conditions can be suspected based on the history of symptoms -
- Groin pain or deep buttock pain is associated with acetabular or capsular sources and of Iliopsoas origin.
- Pain over the greater trochanter implicates trochanteric bursitis
- If there has been a pain-free period after the THR, the late onset of pain suggests loosening or sepsis.
- If pain increases in severity with increased walking or standing and is relieved by rest, it is usually associated with loosening, but loosening is rarely associated with rest pain alone.
- Night pain, rest pain, or constant pain can be associated with sepsis (infection)

So, a thorough clinical examination and investigative evaluation is needed to arrive at a possible diagnosis for the cause of your pain. And the management depends on the diagnosed condition.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further