Did colonoscopy and biopsy of anus. Stitches hurt. Will I get any infection?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hi! Last Friday I had a colonoscopy and a biopsy taken from my anus! My dr put stitches in. I'm afraid because it is still hurting like hell not only when I sit but also when i lie down and especially with every bowel movement! Blood also is present with every bowel movement! right now I'm taking Daflon 500 mg bec i also had a hemorrhoid, Catafast for the unbearble pain and saline sitz bath twice a day! I know it is still early (3 days from the intervention) but i'm afraid that my stitches open due to their location in the anus and I might get an infection! Any advise please!
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please upload the report and solve the query

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

I have two query regarding your details you have provided.
1. Why and where stitches were placed
2. From where and why biopsy was taken
3. if possible upload report of colonoscopy and details of surgery done

Please upload these details, I will be thankful to you

Follow-up: Did colonoscopy and biopsy of anus. Stitches hurt. Will I get any infection? 16 minutes later
The biopsy was taken because i had a continued pain and burning sensation in the anus area even though i had XXXXXXX hemmorrhoids removed and an anal stretch done! the pain persisted! i had tired various creams like doloproct and proctosedyl which didn't help and it irritated my skin! this has been going for nearly 2 years! in 30/05/2012 had three 2nd degree haemorrhoids banded at 4, 7, 11 o'clock and on 04/07/12 had a 4 finger anal stretch carried out! But as I stated pain continued. on 10 XXXXXXX i also had a Fluoroscopy Barium enema and the results were normal (That is what they told me) and last Friday I had a colonoscopy because was still in pain! I do not have a report in hand (was not given unfortunately) re the colonoscopy! I only know that an other hemmorrhoid was found and banded and that the biopsy was taken in the anus and stitched in fact (sorry the language0 when I look at my anus with a mirror i can see to ends of the stitches showing1 that is all i know!

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see the details

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for feedback. I will advise :
1. Make your stool soft either by taking psyllium fibres or by taking some laxative. Please don't let them be hard and please do not strain also while defecation
2. make frequency of sitz bath 4 times per day if feasible
3. Apply ointment containing diltizem or nitroglycerine per annum before and after defecation and at least 4 times per day
4. Also take analgesic tablet like ultracet thrice a day which is a combination of tramadol and acetoaminophen which is better analgesic than catafast,

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to answer that too. Remain in touch and get-well soon.

Sorry just wanted to ask re the sitz bath! Saline or plain water please.

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see the details

Detailed Answer:
Hello! SITZ BATH consists of:
Take lukewarm water (43 degree celsius) in a tub in which you can sit comfortably, your perianal area should be dipped in that water. Add potassium permangnate to that water in a quantity to make the colour of water slightly pink. Sit in this tub containing mixture of lukewarm water and potassium permangnate for at least 10-15 minutes per bath OR may simply use saline water in a similar manner.

If you do not have any further query, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you a good health.