Did an ultrasound of whole abdomen, urine analysis. Herpes simplex? Is something serious? Is it curable?

Question
Dear Dr. Malhotra,

I shared my problem sometime back with you on WWW.WWWW.WW
and you advised me to get the following tests done:

An ultrasound examination of the whole abdomen, a uroflowmetry test, urine analysis for fungus, Serum IgG and IgM for herpes simplex virus 1 and 2

I got my Serum IgG and IgM for herpes simplex virus 1 and 2 done and my report outcome is as under:

Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV 1&2 ) IgG antibody 1.630

Is this something very serious? Do I need to get any more tests please advise?

Is this a curable situation? I am really worried kindly guide.

Please answer my worries below:

1.) Is this something very very serious?
2.) Do I need to get any more tests please advise?
3.) Is this a curable situation? I am really worried kindly guide.
4.) What precautions should I take?
5.) Do I need to get my wife tested for Serum IgG & IgM too?
6.) Does it takes too long to cure this?
Posted Fri, 1 Jun 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Vineet Malhotra 41 minutes later
Thanks for your query

The test IgG is positive and indicates a past infection. I would advise you to get your wife tested for the same.
You would need to take a course of antiviral medication and i would advise you to get a consultation by a local urologist.
This is not a serious condition and is treatable.

I hope i have answered your query.
I will be happy to answer any other queries that you may have.

Dr Vineet Malhotra

Follow-up: Did an ultrasound of whole abdomen, urine analysis. Herpes simplex? Is something serious? Is it curable? 13 minutes later
Dear Dr. Malhotra,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Do I need to get any more tests done?

Do I need to take any precautions?

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Vineet Malhotra 8 minutes later

Thanks again.

You should use a barrier for intercourse till the treatment course is complete.

You do not require any further testing currently.

Dr Vineet Malhotra

Follow-up: Did an ultrasound of whole abdomen, urine analysis. Herpes simplex? Is something serious? Is it curable? 3 minutes later
Dear Dr. Malhotra,

By saying barrier for intercourse do you mean I should not have intercourse till course of treatment is complete or does barrier means use of barrier contraceptive like a condom?

How long is the treatment usually?

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Vineet Malhotra 11 hours later
Hello again,

I apologize for not elaborating at the first instance. Barrier use during intercourse means using a condom.
The short course of antiviral medication maybe a 7 day course.

Dr Vineet Malhotra

Follow-up: Did an ultrasound of whole abdomen, urine analysis. Herpes simplex? Is something serious? Is it curable? 4 minutes later
Dear Dr. Malhotra,

You have been very helpful and patient throughout and I am really thankful for same.

I request you to kindly sequentially reply all of my few last queries below:

Now that the causitive organism has been determined to be Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV 1&2) IgG antibody

1. Is this Herpes Simplex Virus the cause of my penile glans rash (You had mentioned in our previous replies on XXXXXXX that I seem to have balanitis/balanoposhthitis). Is it actually balanitis/balanoposhthitis caused by Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV 1&2)?

Note: Plz check attached penile glans pics

2. Will my urine flow automatically improve as my Herpes gets treated?

3. Is my lower abdomen discomfort, heaviness & stress and feeling of abdominal distention due to this Herpes infection only?

4. Do I still need to go for an Ultrasound of lower abdomen?

5. Will the rash on my glans automatically go as my Herpes infection gets treated or will that require some other treatment?

6. How does this genital Herpes infection gets acquired in the first place?

7. Is Genital Herpes Infection difficult to cure and takes time? I have also heard that it comes back often? Are there good anti viral medicines for this virus infection now a days?

8. I usually feel unwell and slight shaky hands is it due to this Herpes Infection only?

I shall be highly obliged if you could reply all my above 8 worries as I have been under a lot of mental stress due to above problem.

Warm Regards
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Vineet Malhotra 14 hours later
Hello again,

1. Your glanular rash appears to be most likely due to the herpetic infection.

2. The urinary flow is unrelated to herpes infection and indicates prostatitis/ Urethritis and will require treatment by alpha-blockers, anti-inflammatory drugs and sitz bath.

3. These symptoms are also suggestive of prostatitis/Cystitis

4. You should undergo ultrasound lower abdomen

5. The glanular lesions should disappear with antiviral therapy

6. It is transmitted by sexual contact most commonly.

7.The disease is well controlled with medication though milder recurrences may occur.

8. These symptoms do not seem to be associated with herpes infection.

I hope i have answered all your queries
Dr Vineet Malhotra