Did SGOT, SGPT, alkaline phosphatase test with liver ultrasound. Are my reports normal?

May 2014

Alkaline Phosphatase 244 U/L
SGOT 297 U/L
SGPT 778 u/l
GGPT 384 U/L
Liver ultrasound impression :"unremarkable abdominal ultrasound" "right lobe of liver measures 15.6 cm. Right kidney 11.6 cm and left 9.9 cm.
the SGPT and SGOT were much higher a week ago, this is first GGT result. I stopped all blood sugar lowering weight loss Biotrust neutroceuticals and stopped the protein wt. loss shakes as well as NO alcohol intake. I stopped all of this one week ago today.
How long will it take to have all liver function results return to normal? Is there a specific plan (diet, exercise?) that will assist me in my return to health? Major symptom fatigue and the dark urine ( which has cleared up). No jaundice, itching, or pain. Are my kidneys the right size? Is the liver lobe too big? Will things return to normal size, serum levels? Thank you.

Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.

In my opinion, the liver size at 15.6 cms is marginally enlarged. Kidneys are bnormal in size.

Your liver function values are:
Alkaline Phosphatase 244 U/L
SGOT 297 U/L
SGPT 778 u/l
GGPT 384 U/L

Normal lab values are following:
ALT (SGPT) 7 to 55 units per liter (U/L)
AST (SGOT) 8 to 48 U/L
ALP 45 to 115 U/L
GGT 9 to 48 U/L

Aspartate aminotransferase (AST), formerly called SGOT. The AST enzyme is also found in muscles and many other tissues besides the liver.
Alanine aminotransferase (ALT), formerly called SGPT. ALT is almost exclusively found in the liver.
If ALT and AST are found together in elevated amounts in the blood, liver damage is most likely present.
There is a clear elevation in all the enzymes tested. Liver function tests can help determine how your disease is progressing and if you're responding to treatment.

When bile flow is slow or blocked, blood levels of certain liver enzymes rise:
Alkaline phosphatase
Gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase (GGT)

More common causes of elevated liver enzymes include:

Certain prescription medications, including statin drugs used to control cholesterol
Drinking alcohol
Heart failure
Hepatitis A
Hepatitis B
Hepatitis C
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease
Over-the-counter pain medications, including acetaminophen (Tylenol, others)

Diagnosis of your liver condition is most important now. Depending on that your liver function tests may come back to normal in 4 weeks. Passing dark color urine needs proper evaluation of serum bilirubin levels.

Fatigue is a very common and non specific symptom and needs to be evaluated in the back ground of elevated liver enzymes. A diet that contains less oil and spices would benefit you.

Liver size will return to normal.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.