Diastolic rate is 60. Is that too low?

Question
My diastolic rate is in the 60,s is that too low
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

The normal blood pressure considered normal is 120mmHg for the systolic ans 80mmHg for the diastolic. These blood pressures are usually denoted 120/80mmHg.

A diastolic blood pressure of 60mmHg is normal, is not a measure call for concern. However, it is required that is should be well monitored. If it goes below 60 mmHG and stays below this value for over sometime, it becomes abnormal. The interpretation however also takes into consideration the clinical signs and symptoms. In case you are symptomatic, blurred vision, blackouts, palpitations, we might need to do further investigations. But if you are oK and your diastolic pressure is at 60 and never goes below 60, then it is ok.

Hope this helps but do not hesitate asking further questions if need be.

Thanks for the query and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Diastolic rate is 60. Is that too low? 15 hours later
my present blood pressure is 159/70 and my heart beat 74 is this ok

Hi and thanks for the query,

The diastolic pressure of 70mmHg is normal.

However the reading of 150mmHg (systolic pressure) is high. It however depends on the conditions under which this blood pressure was taken. In case the pressure was taken after exercise without getting enough rest, it would be worth cchecking the blood pressure again.

A heart beat of 74 is very normal.

Thanks and best regards. Do not hesitate asking further questions if need be.

Luchuo, MD.