Diarrhea,vomiting,abdominal pain,irregular period

I have had diarrhea for 4 days now, Today it doesn't seem as bad but It's still there pretty often. The past two days i have vomited a few times. Today I only got sick once, but this afternoon, i started having pains on my right side of my stomach that come and go but now it's a dull ache and sometimes its worse than other times. My periods are very irregular and very inconsistent!
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

From the symptoms that you have provided I believe you are recovering from a moderate case of gastroenteritis. This is typically caused by a virus which can subsequently alter the normal bacteria which reside in the GI tract and lead to an illness where fever, cramping, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea occur.

What is critical for you is that you maintain adequate hydration. I suggest gatorade to my patients because this is a fluid which contains glucose as well as water and electrolytes and it serves as a great source of fluid for hydration in a patient who loses fluids via diarrhea or vomiting or in your case both.

I suspect the pain you feel is part of the residual inflammation in your GI tract as the infection clears from your system. It may take a few more days before this subsides and you feel back to normal.

As for your periods - this can be related to a number of things including stress level, weight and baseline hormonal status. If for example you carry some extra weight it can lead to a syndrome called polycystic ovarian syndrome where irregular periods are quite common. Otherwise if you have a hormonal imbalance of estrogen and progesterone, a low dose oral contraceptive pill can sometimes be quite effective at restoring normalcy to periods.

I thank you again for your query. Please know that I am available for any followups if needed and I hope you found this response to be helpful and informative.

Dr. Galamaga