Diarrhea with strong odor, suffered from cold, chest infection. On antibiotics for asthma. Treatment for diarrhea?

I have been suffering from a cold/flu since october. In october I had a chest infection and asthma attack at the same time and then now my asthma has been progressively getting worse ( gasping for breath at night)
I have been taking antibiotics (amoxicillin) and now have been given doxocycline and prednisolone for my asthma
The concern is now that i have diarrohea smelling like bleach, its a very strong odor that lasts a few minutes.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 42 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I can visualize 2 important things in your medical concerns:

1. Doxycycline and amoxycillin have drug interactions of moderate seriousness, should be avoided generally as it may cause therapeutic failure.

2. Both Doxycycline and Amoxycillin are known to cause CDAD (Clostridium difficile associated diarrhoea)

Your concern would require a review of your prescribed drugs by your doctor at the earliest.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.
Follow-up: Diarrhea with strong odor, suffered from cold, chest infection. On antibiotics for asthma. Treatment for diarrhea? 2 hours later
Thank you for the answer, I woke up this morning and I now have very bad stomach cramps near the belly button and still got the bleach smelling diarrohea which is full of water mostly.....
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hi and thanks again,

The symptoms seem to be progressing. In this circumstance, I suggest you to consult your doctor at the earliest. You would need review of your medication as explained earlier.

Meanwhile, drink lots of water/fluids to prevent dehydration.

Hope this helps.

Wish you good and speedy recovery.