Diarrhea, weakness, dizziness, fever, painful cramps. Whats the cause?

5 days ago, I thought I had a stomach bug, with 5 (!) softish bms in the course of a morning, followed H
by diarrhea, weakness, dizziness, a brief low-grade fever that afternoon. Day 2 same, no fever. Days 3-6 I'm fine during the day (still no solid bm), but up 2-3x each night with painful cramping, diarrhea or just the urge. No diet changes or travel. Noticed mucous in stool days 3-4. No blood.
Posted Sun, 15 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 5 hours later

Thanks for contacting Healthcare magic.

Since you have short duration of symptoms with no such prior history, It seems that it is some GI bug only. Since there is no blood nor there is any fever, and symptoms have improved over a period of 3 - 4 days, it to be a infection due to either a virus or some non-invasive bacteria. Symptoms due to these infections usually improve on its own. You can wait for symptoms to improve further.

If the symptoms persist then you may need to get a stool examination along with culture sensitivity done, followed by a course of antibiotics acting on GI tract as advised by your physician.

Best wishes. Hope you get well soon.

Dr Dinesh Singal