Diarrhea, vomiting, stomach pain. Now tailbone pain and anus irritation. Please advise

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Last Monday (4 days before) I had severe diarrhea and vomiting feeling with pain in the upper stomach. It was stopped in the late afternoon and I am fine after that. But from Tuesday onwards I have pain in my tailbone consistently. It pains when I sit , stand or whatever regular activities I do. The pain is continuing for the fourth day and I do not see any improvement. After three days I do have small irritation in my anus. Please advise.
Before this I never had pain in my tailbone.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 28 minutes later
Your History suggests you have Coccydynia. Commonly it happens due to inflammation around the sacrococcygeal joint.
You need a thorough evaluation by an Orthopedician for Coccydynia. Your Doctor will examine you and suggest further tests like, lateral X-ray of the coccyx. He/she may also order CT scan or MRI scan if it is clinically necessary.

Once confirmed, treatment is conservative which involves analgesics along with Physiotherapy. Surgery is considered in severe cases.

You can follow these lifestyle modifications:
1.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, this will avoid constipation and pain while passing stools.
2.) Apply ice packs or heat pads to the tailbone area for 15-20 minutes, 4 times a day.
3.) You can purchase a "doughnut" cushion or pillow to sit on. This has a hole in the middle of it to prevent your tailbone from contacting the flat surface and thus avoiding pain.
4.) Avoid sitting for long periods of time. When seated, sit on hard surfaces and alternate sitting on each side of the buttocks. Also, lean forward and direct your weight away from the tailbone.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Diarrhea, vomiting, stomach pain. Now tailbone pain and anus irritation. Please advise 8 minutes later
Hey, Thanks for the response. Is this tailbone issue because of diahrrea or some other things ? Also is it curable because all over google i have seen it is a chronic one and not completely curable. I am going to be married soon. Will this affect my sex life ?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The tailbone pain is not likely to be related to the diarrhea you had.
It is a chronic problem but can be well controlled with the help of medicines. If there is no acute flare up, it will not affect your sex life in any way.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.