Diarrhea, stomach pain, food allergies. On antacids. History of heartburn, reflux. Will probiotics help my condition?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I began a raw foods/vegan diet on October 1. Sometime after Thanksgiving, I believe I caught a touch of the flu, with aches, diarrhea, etc., which prompted me to abandon the vegan diet. I have done this gradually, but ever since, I have had instances of diarrhea. I notice I will have the problem after eating dairy products, mainly cheese as I am still drinking Silk soy milk. I also have acid reflux, so I have been drinking the maximum strength liquid antacids when I have reflux or heartburn issues. Would a probiotic help with this?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 19 minutes later

Prolonged diarrhoea in your case could be either due to infection, mostly viral, parasitic or inflammation of the gut or any allergy triggered recently.

To differentiate and come to an exact diagnosis, the best option is to consult a Gastroenterologist, who can evaluate you, carry out some tests like stool routine and culture, complete blood counts, etc and treat accordingly.

The treatment would depend on the cause, but it would include probiotics in any case as an adjuvant to enhance gut immunity. The alternative is that you start using a probiotic (any brand would do) 1to 2 times daily and continue with restricting possible allergens like dairy products in your diet. Along with this, you can also take a single daily dose of any multivitamin with zinc supplements to maintain your nutrition.

I think this should help in resolving your symptoms, if there is no relief in a week or two, then kindly consult your Gastroenterologist. I would personally advise you to consult first and get investigated before starting treatment as your problem has been recurring since quite some time.

But the answer to your query, is yes probiotics do have beneficial role in such cases.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have follow up queries.