Diarrhea, stomach cramps and headache. Should I take an OTC drug?

Hello. I attended my one year old granddaughter's birthday party on Sat., Oct 5. She had a cough and runny nose, and developed diahhrea the day before. My daughter was advised by her doctor to not bring her in because she had no fever. By Sunday, 8 out of 20 people who attended the party were sick, either vomiting or having severe diahhrea. I have been sick since Sunday evening with very watery diahhrea, stomach cramps, and headache. I was going to go to work today (I'm a school principal) but quickly discovered that I could not be far from a bathroom. I've tried to stay hydrated, but nothing stays inside very long. I'd like to know how long I'm contagious, and should I take an OTC drug, such as Imodium AD? Thank you.
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Drink enough fluids, careful intake of Imodium.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

It is evident that you are suffering from a food poisoning episode. You need not be bothered of using antibiotic now, for it is not necessary.

The most important thing you need, as you have mentioned, is taking in lots and lots of fluids. Oral rehydration solution, sold over the counter is the ideal. You need to mix a XXXXXXX of it in a litre of water, and drink as much as needed.

Using an Imodium is welcome. I would suggest you start with 2 tablets (4 mg) in case you have 2 mg tablets. After this initial dose, you should only take an extra tablet only when you experience watery stool. This means that without a watery stool, you need not take a tablet.

Drinking enough fluids and Imodium taken carefully should be sufficient to control your symptoms.

You need to however watch out for any fever, abdominal pain, persistent or intensifying of diarrhea and severe tiredness. In case you experience any of these, you might have to consult your emergency care unit or your good health and a fast recovery. Kind regards.

Bain LE, MD