Diarrhea, red spots in stool, on omeprazole, amoxicillin, wants to take multivitamins, history of acid reflux. Medication side effects ?

HelpHey, i began taking omeprazole and amoxicillin like 2 days ago. I understand that diarrhea is a possible side effect of amoxicillin, but last night i noticed that i had like a lot of little reddish (not fully made out of blood, mostly like stain) spots in my stool. Help please??
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 4 hours later

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.

Yes, you are right - Amoxycillin does cause diarrhoea, as a side effect plainly because it kills both the bad and good bacteria in your gut, and killing of the good bacteria causes loss of fluid into the stools making it more watery and thus diarrhea happens. Hence, if this happens, the doctor tops this up by prescribing a 2-4 week course of multivitamin tablets especially water soluble ones subsequently.

Now, you say your stool is reddish, but you do seem to vouch fully if it is blood. One thing is sure - Amoxycillin or Omeprazole DOES NOT cause red colored stools.

1. Your stool would need to be tested first.
2. You wrote your query under the specialty - Oncology - why ?
3. I do not have any of your past medical history nor your basic details ?
My advice for now:
1.Meanwhile, drink lots of good clean water with plenty of electrolytes mixed every hour.
2.Avoid oily food.
3.Don't use any over the counter drug/remedy without consulting your doctor.

I hope I have answered your concern on a broad sense, now.

If you have additional questions regarding these recommendations as you prepare to make decision regarding future care, you should not hesitate to contact me back.

Follow-up: Diarrhea, red spots in stool, on omeprazole, amoxicillin, wants to take multivitamins, history of acid reflux. Medication side effects ? 19 hours later
Thanks for the advise, i started taking water with electrolites yesterday, it helped a lot. And, about my medical history, until now I im not alergic to any medicine ive tried, including omeprazole and amoxicillin. And I do have a history of acid reflux. iy started in 2007 but it was only for like 2 months, it got better and I stopped having complications. and my stool (a little watery now, not fully diarrhea) looks normal, its like yellow or a little bit brown. But with reddish spots. Only the spots appear reddish. Also, lately I had been a little oily. But I stopped when I started noticing the heartburn showing up
Follow-up: Diarrhea, red spots in stool, on omeprazole, amoxicillin, wants to take multivitamins, history of acid reflux. Medication side effects ? 1 minute later
Eating oily*
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello again,

Thanks for following up.

It's good to read that you are better now. Whatever that was, looks like it is on the downside now. Complete the course of amoxicillin and omeprazole as directed by your physician.

Taking b-complex vitamins at the end of the above tablets for 2-4 weeks will be beneficial. Discuss with your primary doctor. One pill of vitamin B-complex supplements for 2-4 weeks is helpful.

Stick to the plan suggested by your doctor and you should be fine in a few days.

Hope you find this answer useful too. Reply if you need further advice.