Diarrhea, cold chills, low body temperature, abdominal pain, acne. Are these symptoms of HIV infection? History of spastic colon

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

I was under the impression I was suffering from ARS symptoms of HIV after a possible sexual exposure in Germany 13 weeks ago. However after asking the experts on this forum. They have dismissed my symptoms as not related to HIV as my exposure was a no risk.

Since the 11th week, I have suffered from Diahreah, Cold Chills after eating, a abdominal pain and acne on my face and neck. I have been diagnosed with a spastic colon over 20 years ago but have only had 3 or 4 flare ups in that time. This scares me because of the low body temperature, chills after eating, acne, and the fact that my 1 year old son is experiencing the same symptoms. Please help me, what should I look for, what should I do.

Thank you
Posted Mon, 25 Jun 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 9 hours later
Thank you for writing in.
You seem to be having two issues.
1.Regarding the HIV problem,it is too premature and it is unlikely that your symptoms are due to HIV. They are not related to HIV in the current context. Though the sexual encounter was a no risk one, if you still are stressed you can get a viral load determination done by PCR technique along with blot testing. That will relieve you of the HIV stress.
2. Regarding the systemic and GI symptoms, it appears to be an infection. For identifying it, get a complete blood count, stool examination and sonography of the abdomen done.Both you and your son seem to be suffering from the same infection. Once we have an idea of the cause of the infection, we can begin appropriate treatment.
I hope this explanation provides you with a guide line.
With regards