Diarrhea, blood and mucus in stools, orange colored stools, tiredness. Virus or food poisoning?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
Last week I came down with exhaustion for two days.on the third day I woke up with diarrhea which changed to passing a small amount of blood and mucous for the rest of the day. For the past week I have been so tired and having loose orange stools with mucous every day. Yesterday was my first day feeling more normal but I still have loose stool with mucus several times a day. Could this be a virus or food poisoning? We ate out all weekend right before this happened. Once the food was warm , another time the ice in my water tasted really bad.
Posted Mon, 10 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 31 minutes later
Hi AAAAA,
Do you have spasmodic abdominal pain and fever?
You are most likely suffering from acute bacterial gastroenteritis.
Bacterial gastroenteritis generally involves large intestine and may cause blood in stool (by causing ulcer in intestine) with diarrhea which is also called as "Dysentry".
This type of infection is generally acquired from outsource eating.
You should also consult with physician/ gastro-physician and should take complete antibiotic course. This type of gastroenteritis in untreated cases may cause spread of infection in whole body (septicemia) and perforation of intestine (at ulcer site).
You should also go for ultrasound imaging, complete blood count (increased Total leukocyte count indicates severe infection), renal function test, liver function test, stool examination, serum electrolytes.
Put your query if you have.
Get well soon,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Diarrhea, blood and mucus in stools, orange colored stools, tiredness. Virus or food poisoning? 21 minutes later
I have had little stomach pain and no fever. However even with severe strep throat in the past I have had no fever. Have had a lot of gas. My stomach has felt sore when empty.

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 5 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
You should avoid milk and all milk products to get relief from excessive gas formation.
You should consult with physician as you may have acute gastroenteritis.
Get well soon,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava