Diarrhea and vomiting after having alcohol. Suggest some remedy

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Had a few drinks last night while having an upset stomach. Also ate some food which didn't taste quite right.
Woke up in the middle of the night and I just couldn't stop vomiting. I have diarrhea and vomiting. Could you please suggest a remedy?
Posted Tue, 12 Feb 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sheeba Stephen 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

It appears that you are suffering from an acute gastro-enteritis - which is an inflammation or infection of the digestive tract. The causes for this could be:
- a bacterial or viral infection
- food poisoning
(which you could have gotten from the food which you had consumed recently)

- Also, the alcohol has probably aggravated the gastric irritation and resulted in worsening of your problem.

Most cases of acute gastro-enteritis will subside on their own, and what is needed is a replacement of the water and salt loss due to the diarrhea and vomiting.

I would suggest the following remedies:

- Keep drinking plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration.
- You can take an Oral Rehydration Solution (ORS) such as Electral (should be available over the counter).
- You can also take an antacid syrup such as Gelusil or Mucaine gel (should be available over the counter) which will help relieve the gastric irritation and hyperacidity.
- If you are not able to take solid foods, take liquids like fruit juices or cold milk.
- Eat a bland diet for the next few days, avoiding any spicy or oily food.

If your diarrhea and vomiting is severe and persisting or if you develop fever, mucous or blood in stools, then you need to see a doctor for further evaluation and treatment as you may need antibiotic medication or other medication to arrest the vomiting and diarrhea.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Sheeba Stephen
Emergency Medicine Specialist