Diarrhea after gallbladder removal. How to prevent this?

Jan 2013

What can I do about diarrhea. I had my gallbladder removed some time back and have been plagued with this problem off and on ever since. It usually occurs after I eat my first meal of the day. Is there an over the counter drug that would prevent this? Or, is there a prescription available. Thanks
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 26 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Diarrhea after gall bladder removal is common problem.
Studies have found as few as 1 in 100 people undergoing gallbladder surgery or as many as 1 in 3 develops diarrhea.
Bile salts are present in bile and it is generally absorbed by gall bladder mucosa.
After gall bladder surgery, this absorption in not possible and bile coming out in duodenum (where common bile duct is open) has excessive amount of bile salts.
Bile salts cause diarrhea by retention of water in intestinal lumen and also by increasing gut motility.

You should still consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist and should go for thorough check up.
Other causes of diarrhea must be rules out for better treatment.
Only one medication is available for this peculiar problem (diarrhea after gall bladder surgery), that is "Cholestyramine".
This is available in 4 mg XXXXXXX and you have to take three times in day.
Loperamide may also be helpful in such cases.
You should avoid dairy products, sweet edibles and oily foods.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava