Diaper rash, skin sensitive to the point of bleeding, black stools with mucus. What is the problem?

hi i have a 24 month old aprox. 21lbs she has diper rash all the time. this in my second child, with skin sesitivity but this is diff. she gets to the point of bleeding with one movment. she has been having a mucasy jet black movments alot. its like its acid to her skin/ what could be the problem
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 10 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on with your young child.

The first thing which comes to mind with the history you have provided is that your child may have some type of intolerance to the foods which she is eating. This might include intolerance to dairy or possibly to gluten products or possibly some other type of food. The best way to analyze for this would be for you to bring her to your pediatrician who might consider performing some allergy testing.

If your child is otherwise healthy and the allergy testing is normal. She may benefit from a referral to a pediatric gastroenterologist. This type of physician specializes in digestive problems as well as abnormalities in bowel movements. It is certainly not normal for a child to have this degree of problems which causes irritation and bleeding of the skin as you have described.

If it will take some time for you to visit with your position it might benefit you to take a food diary. This would be keeping track of all the foods which are child consumes to see if there are certain foods which trigger the symptoms more than any other.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert