Ask a Urologist   »  

Diaognasied as grade 1 prostatomegaly with significant PVR. What does it mean?

General Surgeon
hi pvr:63cc,prevoid291cc,my age is 45.diaognasied as grade 1 prostatomegaly with significant pvr.what that this mean, any critical illness
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Grade I prostatomegaly is not a serious illness

Detailed Answer:

The normal capacity of the urinary bladder is 400-600ml.

Prevoid urine is 291 cc that is, the amount of urine before passing out, it is normal.

Post voidal residue (PVR) is 63 cc in you. PVR more than 50 cc is significant, 63 cc is just above the normal limit.

In my practice I would consider such finding as benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) Grade I and according to me that is not critical.

Prostate gets enlarged with increasing age.

Grade I BPH are effectively treated with medicines. I prescribe Terazosin tablet to my patients with similar complaints.

I suggest you consult your urologist for a confirmation of the diagnosis and appropriate prescription.

Hope this answers all your concerns, Please feel free to write back to me if you have any more questions.