Ask a Dentist   »  

Diagnosis of pericoronitis and have scheduled to remove wisdom teeth. Received antibiotics. Having swelling. Normal?

I received a diagnosis of pericoronitis and have scheduled to remove my Wisdom teeth in early December. My gum completely swelled up over one of my teeth on Wednesday evening. I went to the dentist on Thursday and received a prescription for penecillin, and then went to the oral surgeon on Friday and he changed the antibiotic to Augmentin.

It is now Monday afternoon and my swelling still hasn't gone down. I've taken the antibiotics continuosly but switched them on Friday as I was told. I've done salt water rinses, etc... The pain has subsided some, but the swelling still hasn't gone down.

Is this normal? When can I expect for the swelling to start reducing?
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It's normal;have patience to see swelling reducing

Detailed Answer:

Taking oral antibiotics need time for the desired effect to appear. As your pain has subsided some, it means that the oral augmentin is doing its job to relieve your gum problems.

You need another couple of days to see the swelling start reducing; please have patience.

I would like you to talk to your oral surgeon about using topical (local) antiseptics, contain iodine and to use dried cloves for the pain in the gums.

Hope this answers your question. Please do write back if you have further questions.